The Fireplace Needed Some Attention

Time for another change. 

Picture from the home listing- 
not loving the gold on the fireplace...

After closer inspection, all but one of the gold pieces slid off- leaving black! Those came off really quickly.  


The top piece didn't come off, so after Dave took it off, I painted it flat black to match the rest. 

Then it was time to clean. There is no way that this fireplace has EVER been cleaned before... So that is 18 years of yuck. 





I read to clean the glass with watered down ammonia. So I did that and after a couple of deep scrubs with that and glass cook-top cleaner (another tip), it was a lot better. It isn't totally clean, years of use has left a few frosted-looking areas on the glass but I am out of ideas and it is SO much cleaner that I am happy with it. 


Then it was time to clean the actual fireplace. SO GROSS. 



After the first major cleaning, I noticed the paint on the sides was coming off. Great... So I scrubbed to get anything loose off. 


 Out came the spray paint again. There are three big windows a few feet away from the fireplace so I opened them all the way up, taped cardboard around and painted...






The light is putting crazy shadows here, it is actually very uniform...
come to think of it, it is probably the fumes you see... I took this right after painting!


I put the glass back on and now I can check that off the list. 




No comments:

Post a Comment