day four

Wood floors...

Today the guys worked and worked! They got a lot done and surprised me with great news.  The head guy- Potts, and I were talking in the beginning of all of this and I told him I didn't want any red, orange or yellow in the floors... They had priced us out for red oak and we have though all of this time that is what we got. Dave even made a comment last night how there wasn't really any red in the oak and how nice that was. Today, Potts made some sample stains for us to get an idea of colors and he mentioned that because I had told him I didn't want any red he went with white oak- so they aren't red oak floors, they are white oak. The best part is white oak is harder (not a ton but still, harder!) on the Janka Wood Hardness scale, which is really important to us with a big dog and three boys. I will take it! I love these guys. Totally would recommend them.





Since we decided to put wood in the family room also, we needed to move all of the furniture out and pull up the carpet etc... Our GC's demo guys were busy so we did it ourselves (with the help of a boy from our ward) on Friday night. Potts said they would come and work on the floors on Saturday too if we could get it done, so we did it!




Then Dave got to do some more demo. We are putting the wood straight up to the fireplace. Someday we will put in a real mantle (wood not drywall) and replace the tile, probably with brick, but we want to have the option of having the wood up against the wall if I decide I don't want a hearth.





Colby seems to like the wood...

In front of the windows partof the subfloor was black and there seemed to be some water damage, so we took our trusty Kilz sealer and sealed the black areas up, just to be safe. 



Ready for wood



Options for stain colors... 
We are deciding between the middle two.




No comments:

Post a Comment